Digital transformation and the optimal use of modern IT are prerequisites for companies wishing to compete in today’s fast-moving business environment. For public sector organisations, leveraging the full potential of digital technology has become mission critical to delivering quality services in an era of tight budgets.
Used effectively, the modern desktop with Microsoft 365, consisting of Windows 10, Office 365 ProPlus, and Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS), provides a complete solution supporting agile, collaborative, productive, multiple device, mobile working within a totally secure environment.
Always up-to-date, ensuring that staff have the latest features to increase their efficiency, M365 meets the increasing demands of staff for a modern digital workplace. The cloud delivery model provides enhanced security features, simplifies IT operations and reduces costs.
Cost Savings and Business Benefits
To provide measurable estimates and a framework for evaluating the potential return on investment (ROI) from deploying the modern desktop, Microsoft commissioned Forrester Consulting to conduct a Total Economic Impact™ (TEI) study.
Key headline findings from the report are summarised below:
- Modern desktop users save 2.3 hours per week due to more efficient collaboration and communication.
- Four thousand downtime events are avoided each year due to improved analytics and security features.
- Modern desktop security features reduce the risk of a breach by 40% and the number of end user security incidents by 20%.
- Self-service functionality and insights that enable proactive IT reduce help desk calls by 20%.
- Organisations save 2.5 hours per device with automated provisioning.
- The modern desktop reduces the time IT spends on application provisioning by 45% and on application testing by 70%.
- Organisations save an average of $5.3 million in total cost of ownership (TCO) by moving to the modern desktop with a reported ROI of 108% over a payback period of 13 months.
Overall, the two main conclusions from the Forrester Total Economic Impact™ (TEI) study were:
- The modern desktop provides improved user experiences and enhanced productivity – delivered through tools such as co-authoring with Office 365 ProPlus; collaboration through Teams; file storage and sharing with OneDrive; secure mobile multi-device access; self-service for password resets, application provisioning and recovery from ransomware and malware; a reduction in lost productivity from help desk interactions.
- Modernising the IT environment and IT processes reduces costs – organisations can shift from capex to opex by moving their Microsoft environments to the cloud; save on license costs, infrastructure purchases and deployment complexity; with features such as Windows Analytics allowing organisations to be more proactive in diagnosing and fixing issues thereby reducing overall remediation efforts.
You can access the full report here – The Total Economic Impact™ Of The Modern Desktop With Microsoft 365.
In a follow-up post, we will discuss the key issues to address in assessing the modern desktop ROI for your own organisation.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any help in supporting your move to becoming a digital workplace.